Archive

Archive for November, 2007

“Attempted to read write to protected memory” error on NLB Web Frontend Server

26 November 2007 Leave a comment

We were getting an error on one of our Load balanced web servers.

First of all we got “Attempted to read write to protected memory” error followed by the “The path specified cannot be used at this time” which is then logged every minute in the event viewer on our server.

This then ends up using all the resources on that server, which then makes the server become unavailable. Once the machine becomes unavailable it will move onto the next server and kill that one.

This was reported to Microsoft support and they identified it as a bug that will be fixed in SP1.

In the meantime the following will need to be done to work around this problem

  1. Install the following hotfix 923028
  2. Retype the password for the search service from The central administrator page.
  3. Run “services.msc” and select the Windows SharePoint Services Timer
    Make sure the service is running with a MOSS service account, if it is running with MOSS services account then stop the service, retype the password and then start the service account again
  4. Install / script a tool that automatically restarts the Windows SharePoint Services Timer when the following Event IDs are raised; 6398, 6482 and 7076. Microsoft Support maybe able to provide you with this tool if you raise a support request with them.

 This is a particularly scary bug to be appearing in a “Production” ready product, especially as it is only happening in the farm environment and can take down you whole farm.

I believe there needs to be more information on the whole way SharePoint propagates between servers in a farm, there seems to be little understanding of it presently.

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Demo of Codename "Oslo"

13 November 2007 Leave a comment

Not specifically MOSS 2007 related, but I think it could have an impact on future versions of MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0.

I had a demo of a “Milestone 1” realize of a modeling tool for codename “Oslo”.

The tools looks very good and I can understand what Microsoft are trying to do with this, but I haven’t seen any details on how the models are actually executed.

The thing that impressed me the most was the ability to look at models through different views and follow the model through from requirements to workflow to physical machine.

There are still a load more gaps that need to be filled and I’m sure over time more information will be realized that will fill them.

I apologize about the vagueness of this post, but I’m trying to dump out as much information before I forget.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Using the BDC to populate user profiles from a SQL Server database – Part Two

2 November 2007 9 comments

This is the second part of a two part post. The first part can be seen here

Now that we have SSO setup and working, we now need to create and import the application definition.

I’m not going to go into to much detail on how to create a application definition, but there are various tools available that you can use (BDC Meta Manager, Microsoft Business Data Catalog Definition Editor which is part of the SharePoint Server 2007 SDK)

Here are the key parts of the application definition you need to be aware of.

I have added the XML to a Word document which can be downloaded here (Sorry WordPress doesn’t let me upload XML files)

Below are the properties used by SharePoint to connect to the database. You need to  use the SSO ID specified in Part One when you setup SSO



<LobSystemInstance Name="Persons">
<Properties>
<Property Name="AuthenticationMode" Type="System.String">RdbCredentials</Property>
<Property Name="DatabaseAccessProvider" Type="System.String">SqlServer</Property>
<Property Name="RdbConnection Data Source" Type="System.String">MyServerName</Property>
<Property Name="RdbConnection Initial Catalog" Type="System.String">MyDatabaseName</Property>
<Property Name="RdbConnection Integrated Security" Type="System.String">false</Property>
<Property Name="RdbConnection Pooling" Type="System.String">true</Property>
<Property Name="SsoApplicationId" Type="System.String">SSOAppId</Property>
<Property Name="SsoProviderImplementation" Type="System.String">Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.SingleSignon.SpsSsoProvider, Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.SingleSignon, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c</Property>
</Properties>
</LobSystemInstance>

If your primary source is going to be from your Active Directory (In most cases it will be). Your identifier needs to be in the format of DOMAIN\UserName

Once you have loaded your application you need to add both the search crawl account and the user crawl account and give them execute permission . In most cases this will be the same account, but if you have followed the least privilege configuration, these will be separate accounts and both will need to be added.

To add the BDC as secondary connection, go to the following link in SSP admin;

http://myserver/ssp/admin/_layouts/MgrDSServer.aspx

Or

Shared Services Administration: My SSP > User Profile and Properties > Manage Connections    

Click on the “Create New Connection” button and enter the information as below

You need to match your UserNameFilter specified in the application definition file to the AccountName User Profile field 

User Profile Import Settings

Click OK and then schedule a full profile import.

Once the import has finished, check the import logs for any errors. This should always be your first port of call if it does not work.

Look for errors under the PEOPLE_DL_IMPORT content source and beginning with spsimport://$$nonmaster$$

Once the import has been run successfully, you will now be able to map the fields with the user profile properties in the “View Profile Properties” page.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , , ,