Home > Uncategorized > Site Definition Woes

Site Definition Woes

Can someone help me please, I have the following problem.

I developed a custom site definition solution in Visual Studio 2005 using the following process detailed in my post earlier.

I had no problems in my development environment and added the solution into our UAT environment using STSADM and deployed through Central Administration.

The template was successfully deployed and able to provision sites based on that template.

After a cycle of UAT some changes and bugs came back which I fixed in my solution and tested in the development environment no problems.

I took the wsp files and used the UPGRADESOLUTION operation in STSADM. I tested the provisioning of a new site and it worked, but when I checked an existing site that had been provisioned from the site definition the homepage just displayed a 404 – file not found.

I am still able to view the settings of the site if I access the _layouts pages. I have tried resetting the site to the site definition in the Site Settings with no luck.

I have opened the site in SharePoint Designer and can see all the files including the default.aspx site that cannot be found, but if I try to open it comes back with a soap error saying the file does not exist.

Nothing is entered in the event logs or SharePoint logs.

Please help I am desperate, we are meant to be going live in 2 weeks and am not very confident if I am unable to upgrade an existing site definitions through a solution. 😦

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. Jeff
    28 June 2007 at 6:27 pm

    Hi, may I know how you resolved this problem? Thanks.

  2. 28 June 2007 at 7:31 pm

    Hi Jeff, basically I didn’t.

    Ended up re-engineering from scratch. I wouldn’t advise using the Sharepoint Solutions Generator now (apologies to those who did based on my previous post) as it seems to do it all the wrong way. Everything is based on features, the better way is to base everything on content types.

    I programtically exported the content, without using compression and changed the generated manifest.xml to the new template name so I could import all the content into my new site and then scrapped the old site definitions.

    I am able to upgrade my site definitions generated from scratch that I deployed through a solution.

    Any other questions let me know

  3. anu
    7 August 2008 at 12:08 pm

    Hi,

    Even we have a highly customized Site Defition and we are using the same in MOSS without any changes and upgradation went on well.But when we try to create a new Site in MOSS environment we get “file not found” error.
    Any Suggestions

    Thanks

  4. anu
    7 August 2008 at 12:23 pm

    i go the below link which will hlpe me to apply master page in MOSS.
    https://statto1974.wordpress.com/category/site-definitions/

    In my case i have .aspx pages created in .net 1.0.Will this be applied to moss or how we will change the pages as MOSS compatible pages.please share your Suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Anu

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: